[ISN] Former cybersecurity czar Clarke says smartphones, digital certificates create huge security problems

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 00:51:02 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.networkworld.com/news/2011/091911-clarke-cybersecurity-251014.html

By Ellen Messmer
Network World
September 19, 2011

Former White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke, author of the
book "Cyber War," served 19 years in the Pentagon, intelligence
community and State Department. At the firm he founded, Good Harbor
Consulting, he advises clients on security risk management; is an on-air
consultant for ABC News; and also teaches at Harvard's Kennedy School of
Government.

Speaking with Network World Senior Editor Ellen Messmer, Clarke shares
his thoughts on the hactivist group Anonymous, why we shouldn't trust
SSL certificates, and more.

I think of them more positively than most people, though I can't endorse
their breaking the law. They're not trying to steal intellectual
property to give it to the competition -- a lot of what is going on in
the world is about that. But a lot of what [Anonymous is] doing is
highlighting vulnerabilities we see in the enterprise. I'd just like to
see this done legally. I'm not condoning law-breaking.

[...]

Register now for the #HITB2011KUL - Asia's premier
deep-knowledge network security event now in it's 9th year!
http://conference.hitb.org/hitbsecconf2011kul/