[ISN] Hackers may have had head start in Ottawa cyberattack: documents

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 03:42:28 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/politics/article/1059412--hackers-may-have-had-head-start-in-ottawa-cyberattack-documents

By Stephanie Levitz and Jim Bronskill
The Canadian Press
Sept. 25, 2011

OTTAWA -- Hackers may have had a four-day head start when they broke
into government systems in January in an attack that continues to leave
many employees without full Internet access and revealed flaws in the
security of federal computers.

Documents obtained by The Canadian Press say the Treasury Board and
Finance departments were notified of "harmful activity" on Jan. 24 by
the agency that oversees communications security in Canada.

The departments, whose networks are linked, began to remove infected
computers and institute a series of rolling Internet outages to get to
the root of the attack.

"I received the report, nothing major," Luc Parson, chief of information
technology security for the Treasury Board, wrote in a Jan. 25 email.
"We were already doing all the recommendations except for like 1."

[...]

Register now for the #HITB2011KUL - Asia's premier
deep-knowledge network security event now in it's 9th year!
http://conference.hitb.org/hitbsecconf2011kul/