Re: [ISN] Gene Schultz, R. I. P.

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2011 02:33:33 -0500 (CDT)
Forwarded from: Lawrence Pingree <geekguy (at) geek-guy.com>

I knew Gene and had lunch with him recently and had hung out with him at RSA.
What an amazing, generous, loving and passionate man. He was a great influencer
of security and contibuted greatly in the same 'behind the scenes' way that
many of us in security do. He never had anything bad to say about anyone and
spoke about how proud he was of his family, he will be missed greatly and my
prayers go out to his family.

Best regards,
Lawrence Pingree
Author of "The Manager's Guide to Becoming Great"
http://www.Management-Book.com

- sent from my ipad please excuse any typos

On Oct 3, 2011, at 10:16 PM, InfoSec News <alerts_at_private> wrote:

> http://www.cerias.purdue.edu/site/blog/post/gene_schultz_r._i._p/
>
> By Gene Spafford
> CERIAS Blog
> October 03, 2011
>
> Sunday, October 2nd, Earl Eugene Schultz, Jr. passed away. Gene had suffered
> an apparent unrecognized stroke about two weeks earlier, and a week later
> fell down a long escalator at the Minneapolis municipal airport. He was given
> immediate emergency aid, then hospitalized, but never regained consciousness.
> Many of his family members were with him during his final days.
>
> What follows is a more formal obituary, based on material provided by his
> family and others. That is followed by some personal reflections.
>

> Personal Details
>
> Gene was born September 10, 1946, in Chicago to E. Eugene Sr. and Elizabeth
> Schultz. They moved to California in 1948, and Gene’s sister, Nancy, was born
> in 1955. The family lived in Lafayette, California. Gene graduated from UCLA,
> and earned his MS and PhD (in Cognitive Science, 1977) at Purdue University
> in Indiana.
>
> While at Purdue University, Gene met and married Cathy Brown. They were
> married for 36 years, and raised three daughters: Sarah, Rachel and Leah.
>
> Gene was an active member of Cornerstone Fellowship, and belonged to a men’s
> Bible study. His many interests included family, going to his mountain home
> in Twain Harte, model trains, music, travelling, the outdoors, history,
> reading and sports.
>
> Gene is survived by his wife of 36 years, Cathy Brown Schultz; father, Gene
> Schultz, Sr.; sister, Nancy Baker; daughters and their spouses, Sarah and Tim
> Vanier, Rachel and Duc Nguyen, Leah and Nathan Martin; and two grandchildren,
> Nola and Drake Nguyen.
>
> A memorial service will be held at Cornerstone Fellowship in Livermore,
> California on Saturday, October 8, 2011 at 1 pm. Donations may be sent to
> Caring Bridge.org under his name, Gene Schultz.

FINAL CALL to register #HITB2011KUL - Asia's premier
deep-knowledge network security event now in it's 9th year!
http://conference.hitb.org/hitbsecconf2011kul/