[ISN] When a hacker deletes all your Gmail messages

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 03:22:04 -0500 (CDT)
http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-20120215-245/when-a-hacker-deletes-all-your-gmail-messages/

By Elinor Mills
InSecurity Complex
CNet News
October 13, 2011

Many people are concerned about hacked e-mail accounts (even
celebrities), but what about when several years worth of your digital
file cabinet are deleted, say, by a malicious intruder?

That happened to Deb Fallows six months ago, and her husband, author
James Fallows, wrote a riveting account of their ordeal for The Atlantic
that makes for fascinating reading.

His words of advice are: use strong, unique passwords on important
important online accounts; take advantage of Google's two-step
verification service; and back up our cloud-based data on our own. Oh,
and act fast. Deleted messages are purged from the Trash folder after
about a month.

In a nutshell, someone somehow got a hold of his wife's Gmail password
and sent scary "Mugged in Madrid" messages to her contacts (including
ex-Google CEO Eric Schmidt, who sent a "terse" e-mail to the author with
the subject line of "Deb's e-mail has been hacked"), diverted her
incoming messages to an outside account and pretended to be her in
e-mail exchanges with concerned and or dubious friends and family. The
hacker then deleted six years worth of correspondence. Poof!

[...]