[ISN] Former HBGary Federal CEO Barr regroups after Anonymous

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 03:23:12 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9220832/Former_HBGary_Federal_CEO_Barr_regroups_after_Anonymous

By Jeremy Kirk
IDG News Service
October 13, 2011

One might think that former HBGary Federal CEO Aaron Barr would stay far
away from anything associated with the hacking group Anonymous, which
waged an embarrassing hacking campaign earlier this year that resulted
in his resignation.

Barr, who is now director of cybersecurity for a company called Sayres
and Associates, dyed his hair blue and mingled with protesters on Wall
Street on Sept. 17, an action coordinated by Anonymous, the loose
collective known for its cyber -- and increasingly in-person --
protests.

"That's fascinating to me," said Barr, a former Navy cryptologist who
worked in intelligence, and spoke to IDG News Service on the sidelines
of the RSA conference in London. "I see an immense parallel between what
is happening right now and the protest movements of the '60s."

Attending the demonstration might seem like a bold move for Barr, who
was the victim of a fierce retribution campaign on the part of the group
in February. At the time, Barr was CEO of HBGary Federal, a small
security company. He had been tracking members of Anonymous and planned
to expose members of the group during a talk at the Security B-Sides
conference in San Francisco that month.

[...]