[ISN] William Hague: 'Britain faces growing cyberspace arms race'

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 05:11:51 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/internet/8833268/William-Hague-Britain-faces-growing-cyberspace-arms-race.html

By Murray Wardrop
The Telegraph

The Foreign Secretary revealed that Britain has developed new weapons to
counter the threat from computer hackers and is prepared to strike first
to defend the nation’s infrastructure and businesses.

He warned that with an ever-changing battlefield, the Government was
investing heavily in new deterrents but could not guarantee they would
be sufficient in repelling cyber attacks.

"We will defend ourselves in every way we can, not only to deflect but
to prevent attacks that we know are taking place,” Mr Hague told The
Sun.

"We are trying to prevent an arms race in cyber space. Given that the
internet changes every day and billions more people will have access to
it over the coming years, the potential for that arms race to grow and
go out of control is enormous.

[...]