[ISN] US official rules out chance of 'cyber war' with China

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 03:55:53 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/cndy/2011-10/20/content_13937379.htm

By Cheng Guangjin
China Daily
2011-10-20

NEW YORK - A US State Department official dismissed on Tuesday the
possibility of a cyber war between China and the United States, while
calling for building mutual confidence to avoid such an eventuality.

"People talk about cyber war. Frankly, I don't think we've really seen
it," said Christopher Painter, coordinator for cyber issues at the State
Department.

"Or to the extent we've seen it, it's much more overemphasized in terms
of the threats we actually see out there," Painter said, admitting that
such concerns exist.

Claims that China launched cyber attacks against the US flared up
earlier this year, centering on intrusions into the websites of US
military contractors and the Google e-mail accounts of US officials.
Beijing has denied any government involvement.

Painter said there were cyber attacks on the US, but noted that it was
difficult to locate the attackers.

[...]