[ISN] Janet Napolitano: Hackers have 'come close' to major cyberattack

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 00:32:20 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/federal-eye/post/janet-napolitano-hackers-have-come-close-to-major-cyber-attack/2011/10/27/gIQAZgQgMM_blog.html

By Ed O'Keefe
Federal Eye
The Washington Post
10/27/2011

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano spends a considerable
amount of time dealing with cybersecurity threats, including potential
attacks on the nation’s infrastructure. But don’t ask her to detail the
nation’s biggest cyber enemies.

“Oh, I don’t rank them, this isn’t basketball or something,” Napolitano
said Thursday, earning her a laugh at the start of a Washington Post
Live event on cybersecurity. “Threats are threats.”

Hackers have “come close”several times to shutting down elements of the
nation’s infrastructure, she said, noting that Wall Street firms and
transportation systems are frequent cyberattack targets.

“I think we all have to be concerned about a network intrusion that
shuts down part of the nation’s infrastructure in such a fashion that it
results in a loss of life,” she said.

Asked how many cyberattacks might have occurred over the course of her
45-minute Q&A session, Napolitano responded, “Thousands.”

[...]