[ISN] Anonymous online activists threaten Mexican drug cartel

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 00:51:56 -0500 (CDT)
http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-20127534-245/anonymous-online-activists-threaten-mexican-drug-cartel/

[This won't end well... - WK]

By Elinor Mills
InSecurity Complex
CNet News
October 30, 2011

The online collective Anonymous is making threats to a Mexican drug
cartel over the alleged kidnapping of one of its activists in Veracruz.

"You made a huge mistake by taking one of us. Release him. And if
anything happens to him, you (expletive) will always remember this
upcoming November 5th," the group says in a Spanish-language YouTube
video that shows buildings being blown up.

November 5 is commonly referred to as Guy Fawkes day in honor of the
Brit who tried to blow up parliament in the Gunpowder Plot of 1604.
Fawkes was immortalized in the 2006 movie "V For Vendetta" about a
freedom fighter who uses terrorist tactics against a totalitarian
society.

"We demand his release," says a man wearing a suit and tie and the mask
from "V for Vendetta" that has become the symbol for Anonymous. "We want
the Army and the Navy to know that we are fed up with the criminal group
Zetas, who have concentrated on kidnapping, stealing and blackmailing in
different ways."

The video, posted earlier this month, also threatens to expose
journalists, taxi drivers, and police who allegedly cooperate with the
cartel.

[...]