[ISN] Risky business: Outsourcing opens doors for security consultants

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 02:49:15 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.startribune.com/business/132825938.html

By STEVE ALEXANDER
Star Tribune
October 30, 2011

Big banks, hospitals and insurance companies worry about computer
security because they handle so much personal information.

Now, in the age of outsourcing, they also have to worry about whether
their partner firms are secure. And that's created a new kind of
business consultant: The information security auditor who determines how
much security is enough.

Some of these auditors work for big companies. When Evan Francen did
security audits for Wells Fargo bank, he asked the outsourcing companies
to complete a 1,500-question security checklist. (Wells Fargo officials
declined to comment.)

Now Francen has his own security firm, FRSecure of Chaska, that helps
outsourcing firms meet the demands of security auditors like him. And
some of them really need the help.

"We audited a small bank that was compliant with computer security
regulations, but we could have put them out of business in five minutes
because of the physical risk," Francen said. "Their computer server room
had no camera surveillance, no records of who came or went, no locked
doors, nobody there at night, and it was in a separate building."

[...]