[ISN] Steam Web sites hacked, gamer data exposed

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 00:57:57 -0600 (CST)
http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-57322788-245/steam-web-sites-hacked-gamer-data-exposed/

By Elinor Mills
InSecurity Complex
CNet News
November 10, 2011

Hackers broke into a database with customer information at the Steam
online gaming site, accessed user forum accounts and defaced a forum
site, the company said.

"Our Steam forums were defaced on the evening of Sunday, November 6. We
began investigating and found that the intrusion goes beyond the Steam
forums," Gabe Newell, co-founder of Steam developer Valve Corp., said in
a statement posted to the Steam site.

"We learned that intruders obtained access to a Steam database in
addition to the forums," he added. "This database contained information
including user names, hashed and salted passwords, game purchases, email
addresses, billing addresses and encrypted credit card information."

The statement said there was no evidence that encrypted credit card
numbers or personally identifying information was stolen or that
protection on the credit card numbers was cracked. "We don't have
evidence of credit card misuse at this time," Newell said. "Nonetheless
you should watch your credit card activity and statements closely."

[...]