[ISN] Cyberattacks a top national security concern, GOP candidates say

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 03:07:28 -0600 (CST)
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9222135/Cyberattacks_a_top_national_security_concern_GOP_candidates_say

By Jaikumar Vijayan
Computerworld
November 23, 2011

Three Republican presidential candidates at Tuesday's CNN-sponsored GOP
debate said that cyberattacks pose an emerging national security threat
to the United States.

In closing comments during the debate, GOP hopeful Newt Gingrich, the
former Speaker of the House, said that he views cyberattacks as one of
three major security threats the U.S. is currently unprepared to deal
with.

Prior to the terrorist attacks of 9/11 -- and even today -- the biggest
threat to the U.S is the use of a weapon of mass destruction in an
American city, Gingrich said. "The second is an electromagnetic pulse
attack, which would literally destroy the country's capacity to
function," and the third is a cyberattack.

Herman Cain noted that as a former ballistics analyst and computer
scientist, he also sees cyberattacks as a national security threat.
"That's something that we do not talk enough about, and I happen to
believe that that is a national security area that we do need to be
concerned about."

[...]