[ISN] Software maker sorry for trying to silence security researcher

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 03:08:17 -0600 (CST)
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/11/24/carrier_iq_about_face/

By Dan Goodin in San Francisco
The Register
24th November 2011

A Silicon Valley software maker has withdrawn legal threats against an
Android developer who claimed the company's diagnostic application
amounted to a rootkit that posed a privacy threat to millions of handset
owners.

In a statement issued on Wednesday, Mountain View, California-based
Carrier IQ apologized to Trevor Eckhart for threatening to sue him for
publishing training manuals he said supported his rootkit
characterization. The about face came a few days after the
Connecticut-based Android developer received legal support from the
Electronic Frontier Foundation, which asserted his postings were
protected by the US Constitution's First Amendment.

"Our action was misguided and we are deeply sorry for any concern or
trouble that our letter may have caused Mr. Eckhart," the statement
read. "We sincerely appreciate and respect EFF's work on his behalf, and
share their commitment to protecting free speech in a rapidly changing
technological world."

Eckhart's posting claimed that Carrier IQ software was able to log
detailed information on millions of phones powered by Google's Android,
Research in Motion's Blackberry, and Nokia operating systems. A user's
GPS coordinates, key taps, and websites visited were just some of the
details phone makers and carriers used the software to track, he
claimed.

[...]