[ISN] Rising Cybercrime Pushes African Governments to Take Action

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 01:35:22 -0600 (CST)
http://www.csoonline.com/article/696806/rising-cybercrime-pushes-african-governments-to-take-action

By Rebecca Wanjiku
CSO
December 19, 2011

In reaction to rising cybercrime incidents in both public and private
sectors, some African governments have set up incident reporting and
early warning bodies with the support of AfriNIC (Africa Network
Information Center).

South Africa, Kenya, Morocco, Ivory Coast and Tunisia have set up
Computer Emergency Response Teams (CERT) that will work with information
security professionals to report vulnerabilities and detect DDoS
(distributed denial-of-service) attacks. The move is coordinated by
AfricaCERT, supported by AfriNIC.

"Our main goal originally was to raise awarenessof cybersecurity issues
and set some framework with the support of the Internettechnical
community. We had two workshops with law enforcement agencies on IP
forensics and how law and technology should bebrought tightly together
to address some of our challenges," said Adiel Akplogan, AfriNIC CEO.

AfriNIC has been holding meetings solely for government agencies
involved in ICT regulation, to make them find ways to work together with
information security experts to tackle rising cases of cybercrime.
AfricaCERT is currently collecting data on cybercrime because there is
insufficient research in the region.

[...]