[ISN] Cybersecurity report: All countries lag behind the bad guys

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 00:05:36 -0600 (CST)
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9223836/Cybersecurity_report_All_countries_lag_behind_the_bad_guys

By Grant Gross
IDG News Service
January 30, 2012

The U.S. and U.K. are relatively well prepared for cyberattacks,
compared to many other developed nations, but everyone has more work to
do, according to a new cybersecurity study from McAfee and Security &
Defence Agenda (SDA).

The report, which ranks 23 countries on cybersecurity readiness, gives
no countries the highest mark, five stars. Israel, Sweden and Finland
each get four and a half stars, while eight countries, including the
U.S., U.K., France and Germany, receive four stars. India, Brazil and
Mexico ranked near the bottom.

No country is ahead of cyberattackers, said Phyllis Schneck, CTO of the
public sector for McAfee. The bad guys are "faster and swifter" than the
good guys, she said.

Cybercriminals don't have to wrestle with legal and policy questions and
freely share information with each other without worrying about
competitive issues, she said. "We're up against an adversary that has no
boundaries, and we have to go to meetings and write reports to put data
together," Schneck added. "We're at a huge disadvantage."

[...]