[ISN] Hackers wanted $50,000 to keep Symantec source code private

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 04:06:21 -0600 (CST)
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-57372308-83/hackers-wanted-$50000-to-keep-symantec-source-code-private/

By Steven Musil
CNET News
Security
February 6, 2012

As part of a sting operation, Symantec told a hacker group that it would
pay $50,000 to keep the source code for some of the its flagship
security products off the Internet, the company confirmed to CNET this
evening.

An e-mail exchange revealing the extortion attempt posted to Pastebin
(see below) today shows a purported Symantec employee named Sam Thomas
negotiating payment with an individual named "Yamatough" to prevent the
release of PCAnywhere and Norton Antivirus code. Yamatough is the
Twitter identity of an individual or group that had previously
threatened to release the source code for Norton Antivirus.

"We will pay you $50,000.00 USD total," Thomas said in an e-mail dated
Thursday. "However, we need assurances that you are not going to release
the code after payment. We will pay you $2,500 a month for the first
three months. Payments start next week. After the first three months you
have to convince us you have destroyed the code before we pay the
balance. We are trusting you to keep your end of the bargain."

A Symantec representative confirmed for CNET the extortion attempt in
this statement:

[...]