[ISN] Alleged Foxconn hack allowed bogus orders to be placed for vendors

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 02:16:44 -0600 (CST)
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/02/09/alleged_foxconn_hack_allowed_bogus_orders_to_be_placed_for_vendors.html

By Josh Ong
Apple Insider
February 9, 2012

A "Greyhat" hacking group announced this week that it had successfully
hacked contract manufacturer Foxconn and released usernames and
passwords for vendors that could be used to place fraudulent orders for
companies like Apple and Microsoft.

Swagg Security published a statement on Wednesday taking credit for
hacking the company's servers. The group cited "the hilarity that ensues
when compromising and destroying an infrastructure" as the reason for
its actions.

They did, however, also state that they were "considerably disappointed"
with the inhuman working conditions at Foxconn and were also "slightly
interested in the existence of an Iphone 5," but they denied that those
were reasons for their hack.

"We aim to to reshape your perspectives, our perspectives, by the
inducing of entertainment. A unique approach to spreading a unique
philosophy which brings the sought after tranquility. In a way we are
"hacktivist", but in our own views we are Greyhats," the group wrote.

Swagg Security alleged that it had bypassed Foxconn's firewall "almost
flawlessly." Using several hacking techniques and a couple of days time,
the hackers reportedly dumped "most of everything of significance,"
including usernames and passwords. According to the group, the leaked
passwords "could allow individuals to make fraudulent orders under big
companies like Microsoft, Apple, IBM, Intel, and Dell."

[...]