[ISN] Ex-Motorola worker guilty of trade secret theft, not espionage

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 04:17:19 -0600 (CST)
http://www.suntimes.com/business/10508983-420/ex-motorola-worker-guilty-of-trade-secret-theft-not-espionage.html

By Sandra Guy
Business Reporter
suntimes.com
February 8, 2012

A Chicago federal judge found a former engineer at Motorola Inc. who was
stopped at O’Hare International Airport five years ago with company documents
guilty of stealing trade secrets from Motorola but not guilty of corporate
espionage.

Hanjuan Jin, 41, had waived her right to a jury trial on charges of
trade-secret theft and economic espionage, leaving it to Judge Ruben Castillo
to announce a verdict at the hearing Wednesday.

Prosecutors accused Jin of stealing confidential information from the
Schaumburg-based cellphone company, knowing it would likely end up with China’s
military.

John Murphy, attorney for Jin, said, “While we are disappointed on the guilty
verdicts, the overall verdict is a full repudiation of everything the
government has pushed for five years — that she was a spy.”

U.S. Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald said the guilty verdicts should show the
corporate community that “we take these trade secret cases very seriously” and
that such cases can be tried successfully without revealing the trade secrets
themselves.

[...]

Certified Ethical Hacker and CISSP training with Expanding Security gives
the best training and support.
Get a free live class invite weekly.  Best program, best price.
www.ExpandingSecurity.com/PainPill