[ISN] Cybersecurity Hype

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 04:06:35 -0600 (CST)
http://www.cato-at-liberty.org/cybersecurity-hype/

By Jim Harper
Cato @ Liberty
February 21, 2012

The approving response of an IT security professional last week pointed
me to a story about cybersecurity in which I’m featured. The story and
accompanying video are called: “Is Cyberwar Hype Fuelling a
Cybersecurity-Industrial Complex?” It’s a really good look at how
government contractors, many former government officials, are working
Washington to generate an issue.

How rare is it that a cybersecurity news report includes even a word of
doubt about the nature and scope of the threat? How rare is it that any
news report includes a word of doubt about the nature and scope of
threats?

My correspondent, who works at a public utility in IT security, said
some things that are fascinating and important.

     We are being asked to do things that have no practical risk
     reduction value purely for the perceived benefit. It takes no
     effort to say that the cyber world is about to end yet it takes
     tremendous effort to continually demonstrate that we are prepared
     for anything.

In other words, operators of so-called “critical infrastructure” are
already wasting effort on things that look like improved security
because they’re in the position of proving that nothing could ever go
wrong. This is because cybersecurity fear-mongerers are spinning
apocalyptic tales. Imagine what it will be like when varied government
bureaucracies are calling on the private sector to prove they are
implementing endlessly varying, imagination-based federal cybersecurity
dictates.

[...]

Learn how to be a Pen Tester or a CISSP with Expanding Security online. Get
a free class invitation and see how good and fun the program really is.
http://www.expandingsecurity.com/PainPill