[ISN] NIST Updating Catalog of Controls

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 03:35:37 -0600 (CST)
http://www.bankinfosecurity.com/articles.php?art_id=4541

By Eric Chabrow
Bank Info Security
February 29, 2012

More than a year in the making, the National Institute of Standards and
Technology issued Feb. 28 an initial public draft updating one of its
premier special publications, SP 800-53: Security and Privacy Controls
for the Federal Information Systems and organizations, which
incorporates expanded privacy controls and addresses new threats that
were unheard of when NIST issued revision 3 in 2009.

"The past year, we've taken a thorough scrub at that catalog and we have
been able to add a significant number of new controls and enhancements
that deal with some of the challenges we have had, and the new
technologies that we're routinely using, like mobile and cloud," says
Ron Ross, NIST fellow and leader of the institute's Federal Information
Security Management Act implementation project.

NIST added the word privacy to the title of the draft guidance, its
fourth revision, unveiled at RSA Conference 2012 in San Francisco,
because it expands the number of privacy controls to the framework that
federal agencies use to protect their information and information
systems. "Privacy and security are complementary, so we decided to
combine them in SP 800-53," Ross says.

The draft revision also provides controls to handle insider threats,
supply chain risk, cloud computing technologies and other cybersecurity
challenges as well as application security, firmware integrity,
distributed systems and advanced persistent threat. "The changes we
propose in revision 4 are directly linked to the current state of the
threat space - the capabilities, intentions and targeting activities of
adversaries - and analysis of attack data over time," Ross says.

[...]

CISSP and CEH training with Expanding Security is the fastest, easiest way
to grock the relevant data you need now.   A free class invite is in every
PainPill.  Sign up for the free weekly PainPill.  It's that easy.
http://www.expandingsecurity.com/PainPill