[ISN] Why the security industry never actually makes us secure

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 01:23:51 -0600 (CST)
http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-57389046-245/why-the-security-industry-never-actually-makes-us-secure/

By Elinor Mills
InSecurity
CNET News
March 3, 2012

SAN FRANCISCO -- Every year, security vendors gather at the RSA
conference here to reaffirm their commitment to fencing out hackers and
keeping data safe. And every year, corporate and government Web sites
continue to fall victim to basic attacks. Heck, ubersecurity firm RSA
itself was compromised not that long ago, as was digital certificate
heavyweight VeriSign, even if it didn't admit it for two years.

In other words, very little changes from year to year beyond the
buzzwords du jour bruited about by security vendors. "It's Groundhog
Day," says Josh Corman, director of security intelligence at Akamai.

Art Coviello, executive chairman of RSA, at least had the presence of
mind to be humble, acknowledging in his keynote that current "security
models" are inadequate. Yet he couldn't help but lapse into rah-rah
boosterism by the end of his speech. "Never have so many companies been
under attack, including RSA," he said. "Together we can learn from these
experiences and emerge from this hell, smarter and stronger than we were
before."

Really? History would suggest otherwise. Instead of finally locking down
our data and fencing out the shadowy forces who want to steal our
identities, the security industry is almost certain to present us with
more warnings of newer and scarier threats and bigger, more dangerous
break-ins and data compromises and new products that are quickly
outdated. Lather, rinse, repeat.

[...]

CISSP and CEH training with Expanding Security is the fastest, easiest way
to grock the relevant data you need now.   A free class invite is in every
PainPill.  Sign up for the free weekly PainPill.  It's that easy.
http://www.expandingsecurity.com/PainPill