[ISN] Megaupload boss: Site popular among US government users

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 03:28:04 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/03/12/megaupload_government_users/

By Iain Thomson in San Francisco
The Register
12th March 2012

The boss of the recently shut-down Megaupload file-sharing site claims
that his records show plenty of US government users, including members
of the Senate and the Department of Justice.

"Guess what -- we found a large number of Mega accounts from US
Government officials including the Department of Justice and the US
Senate," Kim Dotcom (formerly Schmitz), the portly potentate of
Megaupload, told the Torrentfreak blog. "I hope we will soon have
permission to give them and the rest of our users access to their
files."

No doubt government officials will claim that these accounts are for
"research processes", or owned by a few "bad apples", but it does seem
that Dotcom is willing to name names when his case comes the trial.
Megaupload was one of the largest sites of its type, and the fallout
could be very interesting if lists of users are made public.

Dotcom is currently fighting extradition from US authorities in the New
Zealand courts, after he was arrested with three others at a rented New
Zealand mansion following an investigation by the FBI into the site. He
is currently out on bail – despite FBI objections – and faces
extradition hearings in August.

[...]

ISSMP, CISSP, and Certified Ethical Hacker training with Expanding Security
gives the best training and support.  Get a free live class invite weekly.
Best program, best price. http://www.ExpandingSecurity.com/PainPill