[ISN] Richard Clarke: China has hacked every major US company

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 04:30:36 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/richard-clarke-china-has-hacked-every-major-us-company/11125

By Emil Protalinski
Zero Day
ZDNet
March 27, 2012

its major companies are being regularly infiltrated by Chinese hackers
employed by the Chinese government to steal R&D.

Richard Clarke, a former cybersecurity and cyberterrorism advisor for
the White House, was a U.S. government employee for 30 years: between
1973 and 2003. He worked during the times of Ronald Reagan, George H.W.
Bush, Bill Clinton, and even George W. Bush. He may not be working under
current U.S. president Barack Obama, but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t
have something to warning about. He says state-sanctioned Chinese
hackers are stealing R&D from U.S. companies, threatening the long-term
competitiveness of America. We’ve heard this before, but the way Clarke
puts it makes the situation look even more dire.

“I’m about to say something that people think is an exaggeration, but I
think the evidence is pretty strong,” Clarke said during an interview
with the Smithsonian. “Every major company in the United States has
already been penetrated by China. My greatest fear is that, rather than
having a cyber-Pearl Harbor event, we will instead have this death of a
thousand cuts. Where we lose our competitiveness by having all of our
research and development stolen by the Chinese. And we never really see
the single event that makes us do something about it. That it’s always
just below our pain threshold. That company after company in the United
States spends millions, hundreds of millions, in some cases billions of
dollars on R&D and that information goes free to China….After a while
you can’t compete.”

[...]

Certified Ethical Hacker and CISSP training with Expanding Security gives
the best training and support.  Get a free live class invite weekly.  Best
program, best price. www.ExpandingSecurity.com/PainPill