[ISN] NSA Chief: China Behind RSA Attacks

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 04:31:38 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.informationweek.com/news/government/security/232700341

By J. Nicholas Hoover
InformationWeek
March 27, 2012

China is stealing a "great deal" of military-related intellectual
property from the United States and was responsible for last year's
attacks against cybersecurity company RSA, U.S. Cyber Command commander
and National Security Agency director Gen. Keith Alexander told the
Senate Armed Services Committee on Tuesday.

"I can't go into the specifics here, but we do see [thefts] from defense
industrial base companies," Alexander said, declining to go into details
about other attacks. "There are some very public [attacks], though. The
most recent one was the RSA exploits." RSA had earlier pinned the
attacks on a "nation state."

The attack against RSA, in which the attacker conducted a spearphishing
campaign that sent disguised emails containing malware that installed
backdoors via a zero-day Adobe Flash exploit, indicates a high level of
sophistication by China's hackers, according to Alexander. "The ability
to do it against a company like RSA is such a high-order capability
that, if they can do it against RSA, that makes other companies
vulnerable," he said.

Alexander admitted that the government needs to do a better job against
these attacks. "We need to make it more difficult for the Chinese to do
what they're doing," he said. "Intellectual property isn't well
protected, and we can do a better job at protecting it."

[...]

Certified Ethical Hacker and CISSP training with Expanding Security gives
the best training and support.  Get a free live class invite weekly.  Best
program, best price. www.ExpandingSecurity.com/PainPill