[ISN] Washington sweats at China's cyber threat

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 03:58:27 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.atimes.com/atimes/China/NC29Ad01.html

By Benjamin A Shobert
Asia Times Online
March 29, 2012

Monday's Congressional United States-China Economic and Security Review
Commission (USCC) again turned its attention to what is becoming an
increasing focal point for it: China's cyber-security practices.

Jason Healey, the director of the Cyber-Statecraft Initiative for the
Atlantic Council, reflected both the frustration and the fear of many in
America's policy community when he stated, "The threat of Chinese
espionage is so critical that the commander of our military
cyber-defenses has called it the 'the biggest transfer of wealth through
theft and piracy in the history of mankind'. It is so bad, in fact, the
United States may need to regulate the private sector and our companies
need to submit to government monitoring."

Viewed by many in the China policy community as unnecessarily
provocative and hostile towards Beijing, the USCC has been one of a
handful of groups within the American government that have been
researching and reporting on what they see as a long-standing problem
largely of China's making in this area.

As the USCC and many of those who testified on Monday believe, China's
cyber-security practices have long been egregious and now hold the
potential not only to continue facilitating the transfer of intellectual
property that Healey referenced, but also to put America's strategic
interests at risk in the event of conflict.

As Healey shared on Monday, "The Defense Science Board report that
discussed hardware and software leakages, intrusions, supply chain
attacks, and risk levels was researched in 1969. And yet we're still
struggling."

[...]

Certified Ethical Hacker and CISSP training with Expanding Security gives
the best training and support.  Get a free live class invite weekly.  Best
program, best price. www.ExpandingSecurity.com/PainPill