[ISN] FICO Hacks Itself to Prevent Cybercriminal Attacks

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 00:34:02 -0500 (CDT)
Forwarded from: Simon Taplin <simon (at) simontaplin.net>

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-04-03/fico-hacks-itself-to-prevent-cybercriminal-attacks

By Sarah Frier
Businessweek
April 03, 2012

Vickie Miller is trying to break into FICO’s computer network, whose
hundreds of servers store essential data for Visa (V), MasterCard (MA),
and many other large corporations and banks.

Don’t mistake this for hacking. Miller is the security director at FICO
(FICO), the credit-scoring company. She’s using an approach to computer
security called penetration testing, which lets her scour a digital map
to find ways to break into her own company’s data before a cybercriminal
can. “We knew we needed, as aggressively as possible, to be able to find
our weaknesses and fix them before anybody else does,” Miller says. “We
had been focused on defending and responding. I knew we could do
better.”

As the costs of data hacks surge—the average loss is $5.5 million—and
information thieves become better-funded and more coordinated, FICO and
companies from EBay (EBAY) to Peet’s Coffee & Tea (PEET) are expanding
efforts to prevent attacks. They’re feeding a market for
data-vulnerability management that may grow to almost $1 billion in
2016, from $400.5 million in 2011, according to consulting firm Frost &
Sullivan. That benefits companies such as Core Security Technologies and
Rapid7.

By anticipating hacks, instead of just monitoring and reacting to
suspicious activity, businesses are trying to avoid becoming the next
Sony (SNE), where an attack compromised more than 100 million customer
accounts last April in the second-largest online data breach in U.S.
history. “Some of the mega-breaches are likely to become more common,”
says Larry Ponemon, founder of the Ponemon Institute, a Washington-based
privacy and data-protection research group. “The cybercriminal has more
tools at their disposal.”

[...]

LayerOne Security Conference
May 26-27, Clarion Hotel, Anaheim, CA