[ISN] Playing with Dragons: Canada's China Dalliance Lacking Thoughtfulness

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 00:53:00 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.pacificfreepress.com/news/1-/11444-playing-with-dragons-canadas-china-dalliance-lacking-thoughtfulness.html

By Laila Yuile
Pacific Free Press
April 14, 2012

It should come as no surprise to anyone, that the script of a 6th
century general and military strategist has even been converted into a
business bible of sorts. Yes, Sun Tzu 孫子, author of The Art of War,
was indeed a brilliant strategist and in this day when war is a business
and business is war, his words are referred to by many for guidance.

Perhaps Canadians would do well to take heed, and find a copy to read.
Not only will it offer you a deeper understanding of the strategies used
by many corporations, it might also help you to understand why the
Chinese government might be so interested in investing in Canada, if not
only for our natural resources.

Indeed, as many news reports show, China seems to have decided - after
several years of little to no investment - that Canada is again, a good
place to invest. Therein lies the heart of this post. Are Chinese
corporate investments and ownership good for Canada? Or has China simply
played the part of the sleeping dragon for another reason, waiting for
our government to become willing again to allow such open and easy
access to our resources, our technology and our proximity to the United
States? What is the real motive for China’s increasing interest in
Canada?

”We cannot enter into alliances until we know the designs of our
neighbours.”

~ Sun Tzu

Although I have followed foreign investment and interest in British
Columbia for some time, via the Macquarie group in particular, it was
Richard Fadden’s remarks last year that really sparked my interest in
the potential for foreign influence over domestic governments.

Fadden took an incredible amount of flack from - and this was telling to
me - our premier, MLA’s and municipal politicians after remarking that
in B.C., CSIS was investigating foreign influence over several
politicians/ government employees. Oddly enough, it was considered a
swipe at the entire Asian community, if not only the Chinese, as if all
were tarred suddenly by the actions of a few. In fact,to be fair, Fadden
did not single out China as the only foreign country of influence...

[...]

LayerOne Security Conference
May 26-27, Clarion Hotel, Anaheim, CA
http://www.layerone.org