[ISN] Police find clues about cyber attacks on Iranian ministries, firms

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 01:47:52 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.mehrnews.com/en/newsdetail.aspx?NewsID=1590815

TEHRAN, May 1 (MNA) -- National Police Chief Esmaeil Ahmadi-Moqaddam has said
that police have found clues about recent cyber attacks on a number of Iranian
ministries and companies.

In a statement issued on April 29, the Iranian Ministry of Science, Research,
and Technology said that it had repelled a cyber attack.

The ministry stated that no data had been lost as a result of the attack.

The Iranian Oil Ministry, the National Iranian Oil Company, and a number of
other companies affiliated with the ministry, were also targeted by a computer
worm on April 22, but the malware had been detected before it could infect the
systems.

Oil Ministry spokesman Ali Reza Nikzad-Rahbar said on April 23 that the attack
had not caused significant damage.

Talking to reporters on Tuesday, Ahmadi-Moqaddam said, “In cooperation with the
Information and Communications Technology Ministry, the Intelligence Ministry,
and the ministries which have been targeted by cyber attacks, we are
investigating and pursuing the matter… and we have found clues in this
relation,”.

He also advised Iranian organizations and companies to use domestic
infrastructure and intranet to increase the security of their computer
networks.

LayerOne Security Conference
May 26-27, Clarion Hotel, Anaheim, CA
http://www.layerone.org