[ISN] 'Stand Your Cyberground' Law: A Novel Proposal for Digital Security

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 01:48:26 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2012/04/stand-your-cyberground-law-a-novel-proposal-for-digital-security/256532/

Dr. Patrick Lin
The Atlantic
April 30, 2012

With the Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA), we're in
a political tug-of-war over who should lead the security of our digital
borders: should it be a civilian organization such as the Department of
Homeland Security (DHS), or a military organization such as the
Department of Defense (DoD)? I want to suggest a third option that
government need not be involved--a solution that would avoid very
difficult issues related to international humanitarian law (IHL) and
therefore reduce the risk of an accidental cyberwar or worse. This
option models itself on the (admittedly controversial) "Stand Your
Ground" law that's rooted in our basic right to self-defense, and it
authorizes counter-cyberattacks by private companies, which have been
the main victims of harmful cyberactivities by foreign actors to date.

Why We Need More Options

First, as a nation of law, we may not be ready yet for government to
lead cyberdefense against foreign adversaries. To do so would trigger
serious and unresolved issues with IHL, also known as the laws of war
which include Geneva and Hague Conventions as well as binding rules
established by the International Committee of the Red Cross. For
instance, IHL requires that we take care in distinguishing combatants
(such as military personnel) from noncombatants (such as most civilians)
when we use force. Yet containing any cyberattack to lawful military
targets is perhaps impossible today; even the Stuxnet worm against
Iranian nuclear facilities has infected more than 100,000 private,
civilian computers worldwide, including in the US. Any cyberattack would
likely go through civilian infrastructure; for example, the Internet is
not owned by the military, in the case where that's the delivery channel
for the attack. If civilian programmers were to be involved--let's say
the government enlists the help of Google or Microsoft employees in
designing a cyberweapon--then those computer scientists and engineers
may transform into legitimate targets for retaliation in either a cyber
or kinetic (i.e., bullets or bombs) war.

Other IHL issues that we have yet to settle, but would need to for a
state actor to lawfully and justly engage in armed conflict, include the
principle of proportionality: a counterattack must apply the minimum
force necessary to achieve military objectives, yet how effective any
cyberattack would be is largely unknown. We might launch several
cyberattacks to ensure that at least one of them goes through; but if
all of them work, then the resulting damage could be disproportionate or
overkill. This and other issues I won't discuss here--such as the
problem of attribution or knowing who attacked us and deserves to be our
target--add up to a real risk that the US might act improperly and
illegally given IHL, and this could trigger either a cyber war, or a
kinetic war, or both.

[...]

LayerOne Security Conference
May 26-27, Clarion Hotel, Anaheim, CA