[ISN] DHS cyber chief: Industrial system threats are growing

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 00:47:13 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.nextgov.com/cybersecurity/2012/05/dhs-cyber-chief-industrial-system-threats-are-growing/55541/

By Aliya Sternstein
Nextgov
May 2, 2012

The government is witnessing an uptick in assaults on the computers that
control industrial operations such as power transmission and
transportation, the top Homeland Security Department cybersecurity
official said Monday.

Mark Weatherford, the first-ever deputy undersecretary for cybersecurity
at DHS' National Protection and Programs Directorate, knows a lot about
the topic and how government shares cyber intelligence with industry
operators. Before joining DHS in fall 2011, he was the chief security
officer at the North American Electric Reliability Corporation, a
standards-making group of power grid operators.

“We pay particular attention to industrial control systems,” Weatherford
said. “We’re seeing a troubling increase in the threats and the
vulnerabilities associated with those.” Much of the technical
infrastructure running the machines was installed between 30 and 50
years ago, and security flaws are introduced when digital enhancements
are layered on top, he said. “But we are making progress on that, I
think,” Weatherford added.

One way the government and private sector are buttressing protections is
through a little-known facility called the National Cybersecurity and
Communications Integration Center, or NCCIC (pronounced N-kick). It is a
“24-by-7-by 365 operations center,” Weatherford said. “The
collaboration, sharing of incident, of vulnerability information is
truly magic.” He conjured an image of DHS Secret Service cybercrime,
electricity sector and financial sector personnel “all sitting next to
each other and working [together]on a daily basis.”

[...]

LayerOne Security Conference
May 26-27, Clarion Hotel, Anaheim, CA
http://www.layerone.org