[ISN] Hong Kong CERT wants bigger team to tackle cyber threats

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 03:04:23 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/05/17/hkcert_funding_call_china/

By Phil Muncaster
The Register
17th May 2012

Hong Kong’s Computer Emergency Response Team (HKCERT) has called for
more resources to help it step up attempts to proactively monitor and
deal with attacks on organisations in the special administrative region
(SAR) of China.

Speaking to The Register, centre manager Roy Ko argued that the nature
of the threats facing businesses in the region today means the CERT can
no longer rely on old ways of responding to incidents.

“When we started out ten years ago people used to call in and we’d try
to solve their problems over the phone, identifying what kind of attack
they’d experienced,” he explained.

“Then later we noticed some cases like web defacement where people were
not aware of the problem, so we tried to take a proactive approach to
inform victims of hacking and other activities.”

[...]

LayerOne Security Conference
May 26-27, Clarion Hotel, Anaheim, CA
http://www.layerone.org