[ISN] "Flame" malware was signed by rogue Microsoft certificate

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2012 03:55:51 -0500 (CDT)
http://arstechnica.com/security/2012/06/flame-malware-was-signed-by-rogue-microsoft-certificate/

By Dan Goodin
ars technica
June 4 2012

Microsoft released an emergency Windows update on Sunday after revealing
that one of its trusted digital signatures was being abused to certify
the validity of the Flame malware that has infected computers in Iran
and other Middle Eastern Countries.

The compromise exploited weaknesses in Terminal Server, a service many
enterprises use to provide remote access to end-user computers. By
targeting an undisclosed encryption algorithm Microsoft used to issue
licenses for the service, attackers were able to create rogue
intermediate certificate authorities that contained the imprimatur of
Microsoft's own root authority certificate—an extremely sensitive
cryptographic seal. Rogue intermediate certificate authorities that
contained the stamp were then able to trick administrators and end users
into trusting various Flame components by falsely certifying they were
produced by Microsoft.

"We have discovered through our analysis that some components of the
malware have been signed by certificates that allow software to appear
as if it was produced by Microsoft," Microsoft Security Response Center
Senior Director Mike Reavey wrote in a blog post published Sunday night.
"We identified that an older cryptography algorithm could be exploited
and then be used to sign code as if it originated from Microsoft.
Specifically, our Terminal Server Licensing Service, which allowed
customers to authorize Remote Desktop services in their enterprise, used
that older algorithm and provided certificates with the ability to sign
code, thus permitting code to be signed as if it came from Microsoft."

The exploit, which abused a series of intermediate authorities that were
ultimately signed by Microsoft's root authority, is the latest coup for
Flame, a highly sophisticated piece of espionage malware that came to
light last Monday. Flame's 20-megabyte size, it's extensive menu of
sophisticated spying capabilities, and its focus on computers in Iran
have led researchers from Kaspersky Lab, Symantec, and other security
firms to conclude it was sponsored by a wealthy nation-state.
Microsoft's disclosure follows Friday's revelation that the George W.
Bush and Obama administrations developed and deployed Stuxnet, the
highly advanced software used to set back the Iranian nuclear program by
sabotaging uranium centrifuges at Iran's Natanz refining facility.

[...]

--
We're in a bit of a budget crunch,
Help InfoSec News with a Donation