[ISN] Flame's crypto attack may have needed $200, 000 worth of compute power

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 03:35:23 -0500 (CDT)
http://arstechnica.com/security/2012/06/flame-crypto-attack-may-have-needed-massive-compute-power/

By Dan Goodin
ars technica
June 11, 2012

The cryptographic attack that Flame engineers used to hijack Microsoft's
Windows Update process was so computationally demanding, it would have
required the equivalent of $200,000 worth of computing time from
Amazon's EC2 Web service for most people to carry it out.

That estimate was delivered over the weekend at the SummerCon conference
by Alex Sotirov, a co-founder and chief scientist of New York-based
security firm Trail of Bits. One of seven researchers behind a 2008
"collision" attack that generated an SSL certificate authority trusted
by all major operating systems and browsers, Sotirov said the exploit
required the equivalent of about $20,000 worth of computing time from
EC2. The cost is because the precise window in which a fraudulent
certificate could be constructed was just one second. That required him
to try minting the certificate four times before he was successful.
Rather than use the Amazon service, Sotirov's team used a cluster of 200
PlayStation 3 consoles, which over a weekend delivered an equivalent
amount of computing resources.

"Based on my analysis of Flame so far, the timing precision that they
needed for Flame was one millisecond," Sotirov told Ars on Monday.
"That's one-thousandth of a second, which is quite a bit more difficult
to achieve than our work in 2008. Because of this timing issue, I'm
speculating that the Flame authors had to try their attack many times,
probably many more than the four I needed in 2008."

As Ars reported last week, the people designing Flame achieved
mathematical breakthroughs that could only have been accomplished by
world-class cryptographers. Specifically, the "chosen-prefix collision
attack" was used to digitally sign malicious Flame components was an
entirely new variant of the technique that researchers had never seen
before. Sotirov said the $200,000 estimate is likely the maximum cost of
the computing power that would have been required when Flame was likely
being designed. He held out the possibility that the collision attack
may have cost much less if the researchers figured out techniques that
were less computing intensive.

[...]

--
Certified Ethical Hacker, ISSMP, ISSAP, CISSP training
with Expanding Security gives the best training and support.