[ISN] Former White House Cybersecurity Czar Calls For Security Action

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 06:56:15 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.darkreading.com/advanced-threats/167901091/security/news/240002026/former-white-house-cybersecurity-czar-calls-for-security-action.html

By Kelly Jackson Higgins
Dark Reading
June 13, 2012

GARTNER SECURITY & RISK MANAGEMENT SUMMIT -- National Harbor, Md. -- The
White House's first cybersecurity coordinator yesterday said it's time
for the federal government to begin implementing its blueprints for
secure identities and its international strategy for cybersecurity,
efforts that he spearheaded during his term.

"We need to start executing" our strategies, the recently retired Howard
Schmidt said yesterday in an interview after his keynote address here.
"We can't be going back and creating yet another strategy."

Schmidt, 62, resigned his post late last month for retirement after
two-and-half years on the job. The former president and CEO of the
international nonprofit Information Security Forum and chief information
security officer at eBay and Microsoft led the Obama administration's
historic international strategy for cybersecurity and cyberspace, as
well as the National Strategy for Trusted Identities In Cyberspace
(NSTIC). Michael Daniel, 41, former chief of the White House budget
office's intelligence branch, was named Schmidt's successor.

Schmidt did not address reports that the U.S. and Israel were behind
Stuxnet and Flame in his keynote talk, and he later declined to comment
specifically about the reports during a question-and-answer session. "I
can't talk about whether it's true or not true," Schmidt told attendees
here. "But I can say you have to be very cautious about what goes on
there because it can have very dramatic cascading effects."

[...]

--
Certified Ethical Hacker, ISSMP, ISSAP, CISSP training
with Expanding Security gives the best training and support.