[ISN] Police: Hacker may have targeted Lemont's tornado sirens

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2012 02:28:27 -0500 (CDT)
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-07-03/news/chi-police-hacker-lemont-tornado-siren-20120703_1_tornado-sirens-sound-warning-radio-signal

By Ryan Haggerty
Chicago Tribune reporter
July 03, 2012

Lemont police suspect that someone hacked into the village’s tornado
siren system, causing all seven sirens to sound for about 30 minutes,
Police Chief Kevin Shaughnessy said today.

Three sirens were activated inexplicably in Evanston at 7:30 p.m.
Saturday night, including two at fire stations, officials said.

“Those sirens can only be triggered by our 911 dispatch center,” said
Dwight Hohl, the city’s Division Chief of Life Safety Services. “It’s
not something that just anyone can do. We’re not certain on the source.”

As in Lemont, the Evanston siren blasts are under investigation and have
been reported to the FCC.

Hohl declined to say on what might have caused the sirens to sound, but
said the city is trying to establish a system that can pinpoint the
cause if it happens again.

[...]

--
Learn how to be a Pen Tester, CISSP, ISSMP, or ISSAP with Expanding Security online.
Come to a free class and see how good and fun the program really is.