[ISN] Dropbox says no evidence of hack in investigation of spam

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 11:02:26 -0500 (CDT)
https://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9229420/Dropbox_says_no_evidence_of_hack_in_investigation_of_spam

By Cameron Scott
IDG News Service
July 20, 2012

Dropbox's ongoing investigation into a possible security breach has not
produced any evidence that its systems have been infiltrated, according to an
update Friday to the company's user forum.

"As of today, we've found no intrusions into our internal systems and no
unauthorized activity in Dropbox accounts," said the update, posted early
Friday morning.

The cloud storage company brought in a team of outside investigators to look
into complaints that users were receiving spam at email addresses they used
solely for Dropbox. Several users reported receiving the same spam messages,
spurring fears that the spammers had obtained their email addresses through
Dropbox.

Because users sometimes store personal and professional data with cloud storage
services like Dropbox, security is a serious issue.

[...]

--
Learn how to be a Pen Tester, CISSP, ISSMP, or ISSAP with Expanding Security online.
Come to a free class and see how good and fun the program really is.