[ISN] HANDRAHAN: Executive branch porn problem

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 05:47:10 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/aug/10/executive-branch-porn-problem/

By Lori Handrahan
The Washington Times
August 10, 2012

Allen W. Dulles, former director of the Central Intelligence Agency
(CIA) wrote in “The Craft of Intelligence,” “sex and hard-headed
intelligence operations rarely mix well.” Perhaps the boys at the
Pentagon need a refresher course.

This past week, the Pentagon's Missile Defense Agency warned its staff
not to view porn on U.S. government computers. The Pentagon also
released a report on April’s Secret Service Colombian scandal. The two
are connected.

In April, I said the Colombian scandal exposed a national security
problem, the epidemic of U.S. government employees viewing porn — child
porn — on government networks. I suggested readers type “Transportation
Security Administration,” “U.S. State Department,” “Pentagon,”
“Immigration and Customs Enforcement” and “child porn” into Google’s
search field to understand the scope. I neglected to include “Missile
Defense Agency.”

Bloomberg quotes a cybersecurity expert saying the Missile Defense
Agency’s use of porn is concerning because “many pornographic websites
are infected and criminals and foreign intelligence services such as
Russia’s use them to gain access and harvest data.”

The only possible response is: Duh.

[...]