[ISN] New agnostic malware aimed for Macs, now virtual machines

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 04:17:22 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.watoday.com.au/it-pro/security-it/new-agnostic-malware-aimed-for-macs-now-virtual-machines-20120823-24o4e.html

By Lia Timson
IT Pro Editor
WAToday.com.au
August 23, 2012

A new technology-agnostic malware, found to affect Macs last month, has
now been spotted on three other operating system environments: Windows,
virtual machines running on VMWare and Windows Mobile.

According to security firm Symantec, the advanced threat, OSX.Crisis,
uses three methods to spread itself, piggy-backing its way onto distinct
platforms.

Peter Sparkes, director of managed security solutions, Symantec Asia
Pacfic, said Crisis was effectively a backdoor trojan, possibly spread
by email or social media link. It has not yet been seen in the wild, but
pointed to an evolution of threats and distribution techniques by
malware writers.

"I don't consider it a large threat but now they have got to this stage,
we can expect others to [exploit the technique]," Sparkes said.

[...]