[ISN] Saudi Aramco Oil Company Says It Fought Off Malware Attack

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 03:52:29 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/Saudi-Aramco-Oil-Company-Says-It-Fought-Off-Malware-Attack-683230/

By: Brian Prince
eWEEK.com
2012-08-27

Approximately 30,000 workstations were hit in a cyber-attack this month,
but the company says it has cleaned the systems and restored them to
service.

Saudi Aramco, the national oil company of Saudi Arabia, has cleaned its
workstations and resumed operations after a malware attack struck the
company's systems, according to company officials.

On Aug. 15, the company was hit with a cyber-attack, and in response it
disconnected its electronic systems from the Internet. Sunday, the
company said the roughly 30,000 workstations impacted by the attack have
been cleansed and restored to service.

“We addressed the threat immediately, and our precautionary procedures,
which have been in place to counter such threats, and our multiple
protective systems, have helped to mitigate these deplorable
cyber-threats from spiraling,” Khalid A. Al-Falih, president and CEO of
Saudi Aramco, said in a statement.

“Saudi Aramco is not the only company that became a target for such
attempts, and this was not the first nor will it be the last illegal
attempt to intrude into our systems, and we will ensure that we will
further reinforce our systems with all available means to protect
against a recurrence of this type of cyber-attack," he added.

[...]