[ISN] Making the best of BYOD in a healthcare setting

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 02:07:19 -0500 (CDT)
http://ehrintelligence.com/2012/09/06/making-the-best-of-byod-in-a-healthcare-setting/

By Patrick Ouellette
EHR Intelligence
September 6, 2012

Back in August, there was a bring your own device (BYOD) survey done by
Coalfire Labs that revealed some strong reasons for healthcare CIOs not
to allow BYOD in their practices without having everyone on board with a
security plan.

While this survey wasn’t limited to just healthcare professionals, it
raises the question of how seriously employees take the required
safeguards when using a mobile device. Physicians are feeling more and
more comfortable bringing their iPhone or Android device to work and
those who don’t likely have hospital-provided phones.  And as we roll
along toward Stage 2 Meaningful Use, patients are going to be using
their own devices to help providers comply with data engagement
requirements. You’re going to need to account for patients handling
personal data and not losing or abusing it Here were some statistics
from the survey:

[...]

--
#HITB2012KUL - The 10TH ANNUAL HITB Security Conference in Malaysia
with no keynotes, no labs - just three tracks filled with our most