[ISN] GoDaddy outage makes websites unavailable for many Internet users (Updated)

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 02:09:44 -0500 (CDT)
http://arstechnica.com/security/2012/09/godaddy-outage-makes-websites-unavailable-for-many-internet-users/

By Dan Goodin
Ars Technica
Sept 10 2012

GoDaddy, one of the Internet's biggest webhosting providers, experienced
technical difficulties on Monday that prevented many people from
visiting sites that relied on the service for connectivity.

A little after 5 p.m. California time on Monday, company officials took
to Twitter to say the outage was mostly resolved.

"Most customer hosted sites back online," the dispatch stated. "We're
working out the last few kinks for our site & control centers. No
customer data compromised."

Searches using the dig utility also indicated domain name system servers
operated by GoDaddy competitor VeriSign were being used to resolve the
godaddy.com domain name. Wired reported VeriSign was hosting GoDaddy's
DNS servers, too, although Ars couldn't independently verify that. One
reason GoDaddy might turn to VeriSign is to avail itself of functional
domain-name-resolution services. VeriSign operates a denial-of-service
mitigation service called iDefense, so another possibility is that
GoDaddy is under attack and is turning to VeriSign for help blocking it.

[...]

--
#HITB2012KUL - The 10TH ANNUAL HITB Security Conference in Malaysia
with no keynotes, no labs - just three tracks filled with our most