[ISN] Why vote for [Chris Nickerson] to be on the Official ballot for the ISC (2) board this year

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 02:10:25 -0500 (CDT)
Forwarded from: security curmudgeon <jericho (at) attrition.org>

[Chris Nickerson, and at least three other people, are running to get
  their names on the ballot for the upcoming ISC(2) board elections. Each
  of them need 500 signatures from any person that has an ISC(2)
  certification and is in good standing. There has been at least one post
  to ISN about these folks. I am sending this one because Nickerson
  outlines *why* wants to be on the board, what he sees wrong with the
  organization, and what he wants to change. Please read it and consider
  supporting him! - jericho]

http://www.isc4thepeople.com/

Why vote for me to be on the Official ballot for the ISC (2) board this
year

By Christopher on Wednesday 5 September 2012, 17:22 - Permalink
I am going to be as direct as I can. I don't need to waste time with an empty
promise list just to try and inspire someone who doesn't know me or is on the
fence, to vote. Here are the things I wanna see happen:
IMAGE OF THE BOARD: Who is the board? ( I dunno? I think they are the ones that
spam us with election stuff but I can't name a single one of them!):

Until last year, when Wim Remes got elected to the board I did not know the
name of one ISC(2) board member. That's a pretty big problem to me. It is much
akin to people not knowing who a senator is or a governor or even the mayor.
For a body that has control over my certification and has the ability to take
it away, I would think I should know who the board members are. Moreover, If I
don't know who they are, how can I know they are acting in my best interest as
a certificate holder? In this same breath, I'd like to ask "If I don't know
them and I don't know what they are doing, and out of the 80k+ CISSPs that are
certified, what if only 2500 vote?" This is a massive issue. I am not real
comfortable saying 3% is an "ok" majority to determine the leaders. The problem
here isn't just "how do we get more people to vote", but how do we get people
to see that voting will matter and their vote will count for something. All of
this boils down to the feeling that I have had since I got my CISSP. To me the
board has always been this "Ivory Tower" organization with little or no
connection to the community at large practicing InfoSec on a daily basis. THIS
MUST CHANGE. It can't only change for the vote to actually represent the people
but it must change to increase the value of the certification in the first
place. CISSPs all over the world need names and faces of people they can go to
when all else fails. The marketing and FAQs on the site are a great start, but
it is time we take a bit more pride in this community. No more hiding behind
the curtain. If you are a Board member, I am calling every one of you to the
mat to prove YOU are going to make a difference. If you think that is going to
take too much time or impede your life (since this is a volunteer position)
then guess what?.Gracefully bow out and let someone willing to take the hands
on approach that most seem to have cowered away from.

[...]

--
#HITB2012KUL - The 10TH ANNUAL HITB Security Conference in Malaysia
with no keynotes, no labs - just three tracks filled with our most