[ISN] Hacker Steals $140k From Lock Poker Account

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 02:09:33 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.onlinepoker.net/poker-news/general-poker-news/hacker-steals-140k-lock-poker-account/16705

By A. Mitchell
onlinepoker.net
September 18th, 2012

It would appear high stakes pro “MicahJ” has just become the latest
player to fall prey to an online poker scam after having his Lock Poker
account, whose username was “GimmeDAT,” cleared of over $100,000 of his
funds.

Apparently, the devastating hack scam seems to have been two-fold and
involved transferring $54k of MicahJ’s money to the scammer’s account,
while also chip dumping a further $80,000 playing Omaha 8-or-better
against a regular on Lock Poker. Nevertheless, when news of the scam hit
the TwoPlusTwo forum, the recipient of the $80k known as FWHITNEYDOH,
was quick to deny any knowledge of the scam and has since had his Lock
Poker account unfrozen on the site.

In order to gain access to his victim’s account, the hacker called
‘highgrind22′ contacted MicahJ offering to buy some of his Lock Poker
funds, and sent him a screenshot of his bank account to confirm he had
the cash to complete the transaction. However, unbeknownst to MicahJ, it
was in fact an .exe file possibly complete with a keylogger program
which then accessed all sensitive information on his computer.
Explaining what subsequently transpired, MicahJ wrote:

“The hacker had access to my account for 3 days. The first couple days
he made small transfers out of my account, and played and lost small
amounts (no more than 10-15k)..However, on the third night, he
transferred significantly more (a majority of the 54k) and also lost
~80-90k playing 25/50 plo8 on the same night.”

[...]

--
#HITB2012KUL - The 10TH ANNUAL HITB Security Conference in Malaysia
with no keynotes, no labs - just three tracks filled with our most