[ISN] Hacktivist's Advocate: Meet the Lawyer Who Defends Anonymous

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2012 01:10:23 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2012/10/hacktivists-advocate-meet-the-lawyer-who-defends-anonymous/263202/

By Luke Allnutt
The Atlantic
Oct 3, 2012

As a lawyer not particularly immersed in the technology world, Jay
Leiderman first became interested in the hacker collective Anonymous
around December 2010. That was when Anonymous activists launched
distributed denial of service attacks (DDoS) against Mastercard and
PayPal, who stopped processing donations to WikiLeaks.

Since then, he has represented a number of high-profile hackers,
including Commander X, who is on the run from the FBI for a DDoS attack
on a county website in Santa Cruz, California, to protest a ban on
public sleeping, and Raynaldo Rivera, a suspected hacker from LulzSec
who is accused of stealing information from Sony computer systems. Both
Commander X and Rivera could face up to 15 years in prison.

Leiderman, who represents many of his hacker clients pro bono, argues
that the law should be changed on DDoS. In an interview I conducted with
Leiderman recently, he told me why slapping teenaged hackers with harsh
prison sentences is counterproductive.

How did you first become involved with representing Anonymous?

The politics of it spoke to me and the fact that it was a newly emerging
area of law really spoke to me. My partner and I do a lot of medical
marijuana law. Primary among the reasons that we do that are that it's
new and emerging so we can help shape the way that the law ultimately
fits society. And because we believe in the politics behind it. And it's
the exact same with Anonymous.

We have an opportunity here to make the courts, as these cases wind
their way up, understand privacy issues, emerging tech issues, against
the backdrop of civil rights and through the prism of free information.
And that was something that was just an amazing opportunity for me and
something that still engages me as I continue to take on these cases.

[...]

--
Certified Ethical Hacker and CISSP with ExpandingSecurity.com gives the best
training and support. Last 2012 CISSP and CEH starts Oct. 1! Take action now