[ISN] Naperville website "compromised" by hacker

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 00:10:04 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/suburbs/naperville/chi-naperville-website-compromised-by-hacker-20121008,0,7166648.story

By Melissa Jenco
Tribune reporter
October 8, 2012

Naperville residents’ credit card information was not compromised by the
virus that has kept the city’s website and email down for nearly a week,
officials said Monday night.

The city has launched a criminal investigation into the breach and has
set up a website with the most crucial information for residents until
it can get the full site up and running again.

“I apologize that it is such a significant, major inconvenience,” City
Manager Doug Krieger said. “However at this time that inconvenience does
not trump our operational security.”

Krieger told the City Council Monday the city experiences half a million
attempts to hack its website and email systems daily, but on Oct. 2,
someone was successful.

“Basically our website was compromised…It means that somebody was able
to get past our security and enter into basically the city’s systems,”
he said.

[...]

--
Get your CEH, CISSP or ISSMP with ExpandingSecurity.com Live OnLine classes that will not wreck your schedule.
Come to a free class and see how good our program really is. Free weekly PainPill: http://www.expandingsecurity.com/PainPill