[ISN] The White House Denies Ordering a Secret Report Clearing Huawei of Espionage

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 04:44:54 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.theatlanticwire.com/technology/2012/10/white-house-denies-ordering-secret-report-clearing-huawei-espionage/58091/

By Alexander Abad-Santos
The Atlantic Wire
Oct 18, 2012

Cue the conspiracy theories: an 18-month, Reuters says it got its hands
on "a White House-ordered review of security risks posed by suppliers to
U.S. telecommunications companies" that cleared Chinese telecom giant
Huawei of allegations of actively spying on the U.S. government. But
we're not quite sure what to make of the report, since the White House
has denied ordering the report in the first place. "The White House has
not conducted any classified inquiry that resulted in clearing any
telecom equipment supplier," White House National Security Council
spokeswoman Caitlin Hayden told Reuters. It's hard to tell if Hayden's
comments mean that the White House hasn't yet cleared Huawei of
espionage or if Hayden is denying that the White House was involved in
the review on Huawei, or some combination of both.

But what we do have is Reuters touting an 18-month classified review on
Huawei, the world's largest manufacturer of telecommunications equipment
in the world (and is poised to get even bigger) and its espionage
capabilities. "[I]ntelligence agencies and other departments conducted
the largely classified inquiry, delving into reports of suspicious
activity and asking detailed questions of nearly 1,000 telecom equipment
buyers," writes Reuters's Joseph Menn, who is getting his information
from two anonymous sources who are insistent that the request came from
the White House.

According to Menn, the report states that although there are
vulnerabilities in Huawei's telecommunications equipment, there is no
evidence that the company is actively spying on the U.S. for China. "We
knew certain parts of government really wanted [evidence of active
spying] ... We would have found it if it were there," one of Menn's
anonymous sources said.

But that might not be the full story. It's important to take into
account that the study concluded earlier this year, and a lot can happen
in that window of time. "For example, it is unclear if security
vulnerabilities found in Huawei equipment were placed there
deliberately. It is also not clear whether any critical new intelligence
emerged after the inquiry ended," wrote Menn.

[...]

--
CISSP and CEH Live OnLine training with ExpandingSecurity.com is the fastest,
easiest way to master the relevant data you need now.  Sign up for the free