[ISN] What's up with the Anonymous hackfest?

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2012 03:31:33 -0600 (CST)
http://www.networkworld.com/news/2012/110512-anonymous-hack-263988.html

By Ellen Messmer and Brandon Butler
Network World
November 05, 2012

Hackers apparently linked to the hactivist group Anonymous today kept up
a hacking spree to dump data they said they stole from Symantec, VMware,
PayPal, Hyundai, and the U.S. Department of Energy and Transportation,
among others.

Symantec says it's still "investigating the recent claims made online
regarding the security of our networks," and adds that it has found "no
evidence that customer information was exposed or impacted," and "will
continue to monitor the situation and aggressively investigate these and
any related claims." But at least one other security vendor that's
looked at the data dumped online says it does seem to be Symantec
employee names and password hashes.

"This link shows, with a high degree of confidence, that the attackers
were able to penetrate to an internal database of Symantec," said Tal
Beery, security researcher at security firm Imperva. "Most likely, the
Symantec support content management system database. They had published
the contents of one database, which included e-mail addresses, hashed
passwords and some phone numbers of Symantec employees."

The hackers included a message directed at Alexander Trinkis,
integration manager at Symantec, that reads, "Saved by your WAF [Web
application firewall]? You wish. All the other major AV [antivirus]
corps are owned, too, your just pissed us off the most. Oh, and if you
think we're listing everything here, take the blue pill. Oh, and nice
JBoss on VeriSign, by the way. We've always been entertained by Symantec
partnerships. (especially Huawei)."

[...]

Visit the InfoSec News Security Bookstore
Best Selling Security Books and More!
http://www.shopinfosecnews.org