[ISN] On cyber defense, U.S. ¡stuck at the starting line'

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2012 03:22:19 -0600 (CST)
http://www.federalnewsradio.com/241/3110944/On-cyber-defense-US-stuck-at-the-starting-line

By Jared Serbu
Federal News Radio
11/8/2012

The head of the National Security Agency said the U.S. has the technical
capability to secure its networks from cyber threats, but until Congress
takes action on cybersecurity legislation, security improvements are
stopped in their tracks.

Gen. Keith Alexander, the director of NSA and the commander of U.S.
Cyber Command, said he thinks the biggest barrier to improving the
nation's overall cyber posture boils down to a basic lack of education
in the nation, both about how networks operate and about the scope of
the threat.

Speaking to a government and IT security industry audience Wednesday,
Alexander showed frustration about the slow pace toward updating the
nation's cyber laws and said failing to prepare ahead of time for cyber
attacks would lead to "bad decisions" should U.S. critical
infrastructure come under attack from actors such as those who targeted
Aramco, Saudi Arabia's state-owned oil company, earlier this year.

"I'm concerned that attacks like that are coming, and we're spending a
lot of time talking about what we should do, when we should just do it,"
he said. "We ought to argue it out just like we did in the election
yesterday, but then come to a solution and get going. Because from my
perspective, we can defend this space. We can secure it better than it
is today, and we're stuck at the starting line. We ought to get on with
it. I believe that's the push you're going to see from the
administration and Congress, and it should be the push from the American
people."

[...]

Visit the InfoSec News Security Bookstore
Best Selling Security Books and More!
http://www.shopinfosecnews.org