[ISN] Infamous Hacker Heading Chinese Antivirus Firm?

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 02:22:51 -0600 (CST)
http://krebsonsecurity.com/2012/11/infamous-hacker-heading-chinese-antivirus-firm/#more-17501

By Brian Krebs
Krebs on Security
November 14th, 2012

What does a young Chinese hacker do once he’s achieved legendary status
for developing Microsoft Office zero-day exploits and using them to
hoover up piles of sensitive data from U.S. Defense Department
contractors? Would you believe: Start an antivirus firm?

That appears to be what’s happened at Anvisoft, a Chinese antivirus
startup that is being somewhat cagey about its origins and leadership. I
stumbled across a discussion on the informative Malwarebytes user forum,
in which forum regulars were scratching their heads over whether this
was a legitimate antivirus vendor. Anvisoft had already been whitelisted
by several other antivirus and security products (including Comodo), but
the discussion thread on Malwarebytes about who was running this company
was inconclusive, prompting me to dig deeper.

I turned to Anvisoft’s own user forum, and found that I wasn’t the only
one hungry for answers. This guy asked a similar question back in April
2012, and was answered by an Anvisoft staff member named “Ivy,” who said
Anvisoft was “a new company with no past records, and we located in
Canada.” Follow-up questions to the Anvisoft forum admins about the
names of company executives produced this response, again from Ivy:

“The person who runs anvisoft company is not worth mentioning because he
is unknown to you.  Yes, the company is located at Canada. 5334 Yonge
Street, Suite 141, Toronto, Ontario M2N 6V1, Canada.”

[...]

Visit the InfoSec News Security Bookstore
Best Selling Security Books and More!
http://www.shopinfosecnews.org