[ISN] Former spy chief says U.S. has had its cyber '9/11 warning'

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 02:20:02 -0600 (CST)
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-57556669-83/former-spy-chief-says-u.s-has-had-its-cyber-9-11-warning/

By Steven Musil
CNET News
Security and Privacy
December 2, 2012

The United States faces "the cyber equivalent of the World Trade Center
attack" unless urgent action is taken, a former U.S. intelligence chief
warns.

John "Mike" McConnell, who served as director of the National Security
Agency under President Clinton and then as director of national
intelligence under George W. Bush and President Obama, told the
Financial Times (subscription required) that such an attack would
cripple the nation's banking system, power grid, and other essential
infrastructure.

"We have had our 9/11 warning. Are we going to wait for the cyber
equivalent of the collapse of the World Trade Centers?" McConnell said,
referring to attacks on the Web sites of major banks and a cyberattack
earlier this year that rendered two-thirds of the computers at Saudi
Arabian oil company useless.

U.S. officials have blamed Iran for creating the Shamoon virus, which
was responsible for a cyberattack that infected more than 30,000
computers at Saudi Aramco and Qatar's natural gas firm Rasgas in
mid-August. McConnell echoed comments made in October by Defense
Secretary Leon Panetta, who warned that the U.S. was facing the
possibility of a "cyber-Pearl Harbor" perpetrated by foreign hackers.

[...]

Visit the InfoSec News Security Bookstore
Best Selling Security Books and More!
http://www.shopinfosecnews.org